Bananas have over 1,000 varieties but 14 unique types, all sharing similar qualities with super amazing health benefits. The Health Benefits of Banana are immeasurable.
There are bananas which can be eaten raw and/or can be mixed with other fruits or supplements; while there are others which require cooking before consumption.
Whichever types of banana are available for eating, the nutritional and health benefits of banana are the most important which include the following:
1. Controls Depression
Bananas help in combating and controlling depression. This is achieved through its tryptophan content, an essential amino acid requirement in the production of serotonin, a chemical needed in relaxation of a person.
The fruit also boosts one’s emotional state of happiness, thereby reducing the risk of depression. No one eats a ripe banana and has a sour face. When a ripe banana goes into the mouth, a smile goes into the face as the sweetness is felt all over.
2. Digestion Management
Bananas have little sour taste which helps to stimulate ageing, a form of digestive enzymes required for food metabolism in the body.
3. Treatment and Prevention of Anemia
Bananas are highly rich in iron content of about 0.26mg, enough to arouse the production of blood haemoglobin. Thus, bananas are good in the treatment of anaemia, a condition often arising as a result of iron deficiency in the body.
4. Management of Blood Pressure and Prevention of Stroke
A rare quality of bananas is its high potassium and minimal sodium content. Hence, these make bananas a suitable choice in minimizing the risk of blood pressure and prevention of stroke.
5. Contain Vitamins B3, B4, B5, and B6
Other benefits of Banana is that it has a huge amount of Niacin (B3) of about 0.665mg, Choline (B4) of about 9.8mg, Pantothenic acid (B5) – about 0.334mg, and pyridoxine also known as Vitamin B6 – about 0.367mg which perform numbers of functions in the body. These include;
* Reduces cholesterol levels and risk of heart diseases.
* Assists in lowering risk of non-melanoma skin cancer and treatment of psoriasis.
* Assists in boosting memory as it is required to produce acetylcholine, an organic chemical which is found in the brain and body serving a neurotransmitter to chemical messages sent by the nerve cells as signals to other cells in the body.
* Aids in removing cholesterol from the liver.
* As a component of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP), Choline helps to generate and boosts energy level.
Pantothenic acid (B5)
* Aids in the production of red blood cells,
* Improves healthy skin, eyes and hair,
* Enhances healthy digestive tract.
* Promotes healthy brain and reduces the risk of Alzheimer.
* Aids in treating and preventing premenstrual syndrome.
* Treatment of nausea in pregnant women and early morning sickness.
* Reduces higher homocysteine levels related to several diseases such as heart diseases.
6. Cell and Tissue Maintenance
Bananas are also a good source of Vitamin C which is required in protecting the cell and preventing the tissue against damage. We need our cells to function effectively against infections and viruses. Similarly, our tissues need adequate care regularly. This fruit can do justice to that need.
7. Restore and Promote Effective Skin
Bananas are great suppliers of manganese needed to assist a person’s body produces collagen and prevent one’s skin and other cells against primitive attacks.
The most common fruit for skin restoration is carrot, but here is a substitute for those who love the sweet and creamy taste of banana. The manganese present in it will help your skin rejuvenate and maintain a toned colour.
8. Healthy Bones and Stronger Teeth
Most of us are familiar with calcium as the main source of healthy bones and teeth, but here is another way to build them – Bananas.
The fruit contains about 360mg of potassium, 27mg of Magnesium, 22mg of Phosphorus and 5mg of Calcium which are necessary for healthy bones and teeth. These mineral substances found in the banana are also useful in blood clotting and muscle function.
9. Good Source of Natural Sugar
One of the reasons I enjoy eating a banana is the natural sweetness that comes with a bite. Bananas are naturally sweet and a source of glucose, sucrose and fructose. These natural sugars produce energy to the body without adding cholesterol nor fat. Thus, bananas are essential fruit for children and athletes.
If you are on a weight loss diet, you can include banana into your menu because it is filling. It makes you full and less hungry or crave for junks.
10. Promote Smooth Digestion
Recently, I wrote on the health benefits of drinking water in the morning immediately you wake up; that is, drinking it first thing in the morning. I said this habit if cultivated, aids easy regularities and makes passing out wastes smooth.
In the same vein, bananas promote smooth digestion. This fibre contained fruit helps bowel movements and prevents constipation. Most times when I want to ease out but cannot, I have a bite on one or two bananas and the magic begins. It works like magic, I tell you. And it will not only aid digestion but also make the stool bulky and soft.
11. Fights Heartburn
There are some foods that cause heartburn, which can be painful. One of the tremendous benefits of banana is the ability to deal with heartburn. This edible fruit is also a relief for ulcer, constipation and hangovers. Now the latter is quite odd – hangovers, but it sure helps because of the amount of potassium it contains.
12. Prevents Heart Disease
The high fiber content in bananas can assist in reducing the high risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) as well as coronary heart disease (CHD). It would be healthy to eat this curvy yellow fruit regularly to help build a healthy heart. This has been one of the great benefits of Banana.