I’m always excited whenever l’m sharing Jollof Rice recipe with people anytime l’m opportune to share it. So l have finally decided to share it here on my blog so that a lot of people would have access to it.
Jollof rice is enjoyed by majority of the African countries, especially Nigeria and this recipe I’m sharing is mostly used by Nigerians. We refer to it as Nigerian Jollof Rice. l don’t think there’s any Nigerian home and abroad who doesn’t like Jollof Rice.
Parties and occasions without Jollof Rice is that one a party? This is just to say the extent to which Nigerians love their party Jollof Rice. They don’t joke with it at all.
It is extraordinary delicious especially when it get burned. Wait! What am l even saying, Naija Jollof Rice must be burned in other to have that distinctive taste. That taste l can’t even explain myself but that taste is golden.
There’re different ways to prepare Nigerian jollof rice but this method l’m sharing is the one l use most times that guarantees great result. Let me point out some ingredients that are indispensable to achieving this great result.
Red ball pepper (Tatashe): This makes the Jollof Rice colourful. The secret of sweet Nigerian Jollof Rice is the quantity of the Tatashe Used. So don’t be stingy with it.
Onions: Onions add to its sweetness. I prefer to use the red onions as far as Jollof Rice is concerned, l just love the taste and the flavour it gives to the Jollof Rice. The white onions is completely fine too, if that’s what is available to you.
Tomato paste: In addition to making the Jollof Rice colourful, tomato paste plays a vital role and also add to it’s richness.
Now that l’ve given you guys some tips about Nigerian Jollof Rice, let’s get the work started. In the same vein, let me quickly introduce other ingredients and the method I’m talking about.
If you love this Recipe, you might also like:
Preparation Method For Nigerian Jollof Rice
Before the real cooking starts, it is advisable to do some prep and to get all the ingredients readily available.
- Wash and season your beef/chicken, cook until tender. Extract the stock, and set aside.
- Wash and blend together, the tomatoes, red ball pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, 11/2 onions, and the garlic cloves.
- Dice or slice the remaining half onion and set aside.
- Wash the rice until the water is clear, I normally wash my rice for about 6-7 times. This is done to avoid munchy jollof rice.
Nigerian Jollof Rice: Smoky Party Jollof Rice
- 4 cups long bismati Rice
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 2 big onions
- 240 grams tomato paste
- 4-5 redball pepper (tatashe)
- 4 medium-size tomatoes/ one can chopped tomatoes
- 3 pieces Scotch bonnet pepper (Atarodo) or more if yours is not hot
- 1 cup chicken/beef stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50 grams butter/margarine
- 3-4 pieces bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 8 cubes seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place your cooking pot on medium heat, add the vegetable oil, the diced onions, the tomato paste, and bay leaves. Fry them together for about 2 minutes until they become translucent. (do not stop stirring to avoid burning)
- Add your blended ingredients (Tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, onions, and red ball pepper) and stir well.
- Allow to cook for about 5 minutes, stir well and go ahead to add your chicken/beef stock and stir well.
- Add spices (curry, thyme, salt, seasoning, and margarine) Then cover to cook for 5 minutes.
- Open and stir very well, then go ahead to add the washed rice, and stir well in the mixture.
- Cover with foil paper, reduce the heat, and allow to cook for the first 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, open and taste for salt, if it still requires more add, and cover to cook for another 20-25 minutes.
- At this juncture, the rice should be soft and tender. Stir well to the bottom of the pot with a knife or turning stick ( I prefer knife, sometimes the turning stick breaks the rice in the process of turning)
- Cover and increase the heat for about 5 minutes and allow the rice to burn for the authentic Jollof party taste.
- Turn off the heat and turn again to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from the heat, your smoky party Jollof Rice is ready.
- Enjoy while still warm with any chilled drink of your choice.