Whenever I hear the word puff-puff, there’s this excitement that always accompanies that word in my heart. My heart always beat at the hearing of that word, LOL. That’s just to say how much I love those small balls. Banana puff puff is even sweeter and healthier than the ordinary puff puff made only with flour.
The addition of Banana to the original puff puff transforms the recipe into something extremely delicious and enjoyable.
It gives a pleasant taste, flavor and it’s absolutely satisfying. It melts instantly in the mouth especially when you devour them when they’re still very hot and the taste will blow your mind away.
And not only that it is delicious. Another interesting thing about this banana puff puff is that it’s not packed with processed sugar like the original puff puff.
Little or no sugar is needed for this recipe, so if you’re looking for a way to cut down on processed sugar and still want to be enjoying puff puff, this is the healthy option.
The banana itself is sweet and its sweetness replaces sugar in this recipe.
If you desire a twist in the taste of your puff puff, just give this banana puff-puff a trial, a trial would convince you and you’d want to stick with this for a long time. It tastes really good.
If you’re also like me that love spicy foods, just pair this with African pepper sauce. Oh! You’ll love it.
- Banana: 2 medium size over ripped banana
- Dry Ingredients: Whisk all the dry ingredients, flour, yeast, salt, sugar (optional) and nutmeg or cinnamon
- Wet Ingredient: Warm water is the onlywet ingredient needed in this recipe. You can also opt for warm milk if you so desire.
- Frying: 1-litre of vegatable oil for frying. The frying techinique is that the oil should on medium heat, too much heat is not needed for puff puff.
- So, If you discover the heat is becoming too much, you should reduce and if it’s getting to low you should increase it. We don’t want uncooked puffpuff neither do we want puff puff that has been soaked in the oil.
How to make Banana Puff Puff
In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and nutmeg or cinnamon.
In another mixing bowl, mash the banana until smooth and add it to the dry ingredients. Start adding the warm water bit by bit until the batter is smooth and soft. 1 cup of warm water of water (240 ml) is perfect for this recipe. Mix everything with the spatula or your clean hand until soft and smooth.
Place your deep pan frying pan on medium heat, heat the oil, start scooping your batter in a round form in the oil and start frying. Flip from side to side until well cooked and golden brown.
Place a paper towel in a bowl, remove them from the heat and place them on top of the paper towels, this will drain the excess oil. Serve and enjoy with any hot drinks or chilled drinks of your choice. You can also enjoy them with African pepper sauce.
So let’s quickly proceed to some other questions people often ask.
Common Questions about Banana Puff Puff
Can I do without sugar in this recipe?
Yes! You can absolutely do away with sugar, sugar in this recipe is completely optional, banana is an artificial sweetener, it can replace processed sugar, which I believe is more healthy.
Can I use Deep fryer instead of the Deep frying pan?
Absolutely no! A deep fryer would ruin the puff puff, the deep frying pan is the best and the oil should be around 3-4 inches for the best result and to avoid flat puff puff. Puff puff should be round in shape and not flat.
Can I use Plain Flour or Wheat flour?
Both are perfectly fine, I use both interchangeably.
Which is the best rising agent? Baking powder or Yeast
Anything puff puff is yeast because puff puff should be soft and easy to chew. Yeast is perfect for that but if you don’t like yeast you can substitute it for baking powder but the end result is not going to be the same.
Can I substitute Cinnamon for Nutmeg?
Yes, you can. Both add a sweet and nice flavor to your banana puff puff. I normally use both for puff puff flavoring. So whichever you use is fine.
Can I blend the Banana instead of mashing
Yes, you can blend the banana smooth.
I also have some other puff puff recipes on this blog, you may also want to check them out.
Banana Puff Pufff
- Deep Frying Pan
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon yeast (15ml)
- 3-4 tablespoon sugar (50 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 350 grams flour (3 cups)
- 2 medium over ripped banana mashed
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon/nutmeg
- 1-liter oil for deep frying
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and nutmeg or cinnamon.
- In another mixing bowl, mash the banana until smooth and add it to the dry ingredients. Start adding the warm water bit by bit until the batter is smooth and soft. 1 cup of warm water (240 ml) is perfect for this recipe. Mix everything with the spatula or your clean hand until soft and smooth.
- Place your deep pan frying pan on medium heat, heat the oil, and start frying. Flip from side to side until well cooked and golden brown.
- Place a paper towel in a bowl, remove them from the heat and place them on top of the paper towels, this will drain the excess oil. Serve and enjoy with any hot drinks or chilled drinks of your choice. You can also enjoy them with African pepper sauce.